Friday, January 20, 2012

Your 12-Monthly Scooter Upkeep Assessments

ByGerry Shido

It's that time of year again, when many of us motor heads are looking forward to getting out our old scooters or mopeds and giving them the first ride of the season. I know several people who rides a scooters during the winter, braving subzero temperatures and icy roads.

I've had some particularly bad experiences doing that myself, it's not something I would like to experience again. A couple of years ago I was riding a scooter locally to work on what was probably the first frosty day of the year, and ended up sliding 40 feet down a busy main road being followed close behind by an articulated lorry. His brakes were not that clever either. I nearly ended up as road puree.

These days, my scooter comes out perhaps March, a few weeks before that there are a few things that need to be done. I timed the MOT and servicing of my scooter for February each year. So sometime late in January get it out, dust it off and make sure it is presentable. This will often involved turning over and letting a run for 20 minutes or so to blow away the cobwebs.

All then book her in for her annual MOT. Yes, my scooter is she, isn't everyone's?

The tax disc also needs updating on 1 March each year. The UK law regarding taxes on scooters is pretty strict, and the tax disc being a different colour every year, it's easy to spot one that is out of date. Don't take the risk. You can have your bike taken off you and destroyed if you're riding on the road without valid tax. Remember if your tax is not valid, neither is your insurance, and driving without insurance is a criminal offence.

Although I do object to paying about

No comments:

Post a Comment